Fun with iTunes

I generally try to avoid anything with the dreaded 'Apple' logo on it, as I despise Apple. Unfortunately I was forced into buying some music from iTunes since they were the only website which actually had the music I wanted. I would have bought the CDs if they existed, which they don't. I could have downloaded the music illegally but my Dexter-like 'moral code' would not allow it. I now have new-found respect for illegal downloaders who would rather use torrents and thus expose their computer to all manner of nasties than be forced to use what is perhaps the most over-complicated and convoluted process I have ever had to undertake, and all in order to get my hands on 2 poxy songs. Below, I have compared my standard music purchasing experience, to the rigmarole I faced when having to use iTunes.

Purchasing and downloading music through any website in the world other than iTunes

Find song of interest
Add song to basket
Go to checkout
Pay for song
Download song
Put song on mp3 player

Purchasing and downloading music through iTunes

Find song of interest
Add song to basket
Go to checkout
Get informed that you have to download iTunes to download music (why?)
Download unnecessarily large file containing iTunes executable file
Wait 5 minutes
Install iTunes
Wait 5 minutes
Check on installation progress
Make a cup of tea
Uncheck all tick boxes which allow iTunes to take over all files remotely associated with media files
Continue with installation
Make another cup of tea
Restart computer
Wait 5 minutes
Open iTunes
Find song of interest through iTunes
Get informed that you have to create an iTunes account to proceed
Spend 10 minutes trying to find a vaguely memorable username that isn't already taken
Enter address, credit card information, sexual orientation, blood type
Sign up
Pay for song
Download song
Find that song is in .aac format, and as such will only work with iPods and other over-priced devices beginning in 'i'
Trawl through forum posts from various Apple 'experts' who recommend the following method to convert .acc files to .mp3 files which is as follows:
Burn the .aac files to CD using iTunes!
Rip the CD to .mp3!
Decide that the people on the forums are absolute luddites as are the majority of Apple users and instead look for a free .aac to .mp3 converter that does not install a million viruses onto your computer
Download said converter
Install converter
Re-encode .aac file to .mp3 file
Add all id3 tags to .mp3 file (so mp3 player does not just call the song 'unknown' by 'unknown')
Put song on mp3 player (hooray!)

2 comments: