UK Resistance is futile

In about 1999, I was shown a website by one of the few people I have actually met who were prepared to talk to me voluntarily. Hunched over the one computer that actually worked in Computer Exchange and squinting to see through the cloud of cigarette smoke, reading it changed my life. Actually, it didn't change my life, but it was good. I have always hated lots of things, and in particular a little known Japanese company called Sony has always attracted my ire. I hate Sony because of their vastly-inflated prices they have always charged for their sub-standard bits of kit, and continue to hate them to this very day. My hatred for them only grew when Sony decided to enter the formerly-sacrosanct market of videogames.

For some reason I always liked Sega. Maybe it's because my brother liked Nintendo. I had a Mastersystem with a few games and a gun and one game that worked with said gun. It had control pads which made your thumbs become deformed if you used it too much. In truth, it wasn't much good, but compared to the dreadful colour palette offered by the Nintendo Entertainment System and its daft robot, it was aces. Then I got a Megadrive which was brilliant, and I don't care what any Super Nintendo owners say about their machine. I'm not having it. Megadrive is best. The late '80's and early '90's were full of these conversations, kids would constantly argue which was better of the 2 mainstream machines of the time. Things like Colour palettes and sound channels would be meticulously compared. Now kids are more likely to argue about who gets first dibs on a gang rape.

I did like my videogames. I have around 20 games consoles in my mum's loft, including 2 Sega Saturns, a PC Engine, a JVC X-Eye, a Matsushita 3DO and a Neo-Geo MVS. I have loads of games. If my mum ever moves, I'm in trouble, as all of those bits and pieces have no chance of squeezing into my pathetic excuse for a loft. Maybe I will ceremoniously burn them. For me, Sony sounded the death-knell on videogames, for Sony bought them to the mass market and made them more lucrative than films. This has had the unfortunate effect of reducing them to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Playing most games now is like reading the Sun - you can feel your braincells committing suicide in protest at having to be utilised in such a wasteful fashion. Sports sequel after sports sequel and thinly-veiled recruitment tools for the US Marines adorn the shelves these days. Microsoft followed suit, although I interestingly don't hate Microsoft. This is because 1) they are not Sony and 2) they are not Apple. Nintendo decided to give up by deciding to go after the female and retard market. They now have a gimmicky joke console as their main revenue stream, with a gimmicky joke handheld console as their other one. Shame on you Nintendo. Sega collapsed altogether as a console manufacturer as the morons of the world turned their back on the Dreamcast in favour of the mongoloid Playstation 2, which had to wait approximately 3 years before it got its first good game. Unfortunately, Sony had more resources to win the war of attrition.

I realise writing this that writing about videogames is tricky unless you're good at it. I'm not. Gary Cutlack has always been good at writing about games. He started UK Resistance in 1996. Ostensibly a website to review games for the sadly-defunct Sega Saturn, we all read and occasionally laughed as he battled through the 5 stages of grief for his beloved Sega over a period of 15 years. Yesterday marks the end of UK Resistance as Gary has decided that presumably there is no more to be said. I agree with him. Sony has made sure that videogames will become more lucrative, less risky and more pedestrian as the downward spiral of banality sucks in more and more stupid idiots who are quite happy to spend their lives playing sequels to FIFA and Call Of Duty until some thoughtful deity pulls the plug on us all.

Thanks for the memories, Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment